In the event of a hurricane WATCH or WARNING, put these items into a portable Go-Kit—such as a hands-free backpack or duffel bag—or a container, in case you need to evacuate—with enough supplies for everyone in your household for FIVE days:
• First aid kit. Pack a “how to” guide as well.
• Medications. Essential prescription, nonprescription items & medical info
• Battery-powered flashlight and radio (or crank radio), extra batteries and a 12-hour glow stick.
• Clothing. A change of clothes, plus rainwear, sturdy shoes, protective gloves
• Personal items. Eye glasses, personal care items, & comfort items.
• Important document copies in a waterproof container
• Items for infants, elderly, pets or loved ones with special needs
• Your pets’ names
• Your name, address, phone, cell number
• Emergency contact – friend or family
• Your veterinarian’s name, contact info
• Medical records and medications
• Specific care instructions and behavioral problems
• First aid kit
• Current photos
• Sturdy leash with collar or harness
• Muzzles, if necessary
• Paper towels for clean-up
• Food (3 days’), manual can opener
• Bottled water, water purification tablets
• Bowls, toys and other comfort items
• Treats, brushes, combs
• Newspapers and plastic trash bags for handling waste
For more information, visit the Nassau County Pet Safe Coalition website (Source: Nassau County OEM)
For flood maps, evacuation routes, or to plug in your address and learn where the closest emergency shelters are for your family, contact:
Nassau Office of Emergency Management
Suffolk Office of Emergency Management
NYS Office of Emergency Management State Emergency Coordination Center
24 hours: 518-457-2200
Hurricane and Disaster Preparedness
Get a Kit. Make a plan. Be informed.