Long Island Press Long Island Press
Serving the opinion leaders of Long Island
Long Island Press Long Island Press
Long Island Press Long Island Press
  • Home
  • Long Island News
  • Columns
  • Entertainment News
  • Living
  • Special Series
  • CURRENT LONGISLANDPRESS.COM
  • SECTIONS
    • Home
    • Long Island News
    • Columns
    • Entertainment News
    • Living
    • Special Series
    • CURRENT LONGISLANDPRESS.COM

Report: Cops Eyed Laffer Before Medford Massacre

by Frank Eltman, AP on September 23, 2011
David Laffer, right, and his attorney Mary Elizabeth Abbate, appear in the courtroom for arraignment at First District Court in Central Islip N.Y. Thursday, June 23 2011. Laffer pleaded not guilty Thursday to murder in the shooting deaths of four people at a Long Island pharmacy during a robbery for painkillers. He was ordered held without bail. (AP Photo/Victor Alcorn, Pool)

David Laffer, right, and his attorney Mary Elizabeth Abbate, appear in the courtroom for arraignment at First District Court in Central Islip N.Y. Thursday, June 23 2011. (AP Photo/Victor Alcorn, Pool)

Five months before a gunman murdered four people during a pharmacy holdup for prescription painkillers, a police detective expressed concerns about the suspect being issued a pistol permit, but it appears no action was taken, according to a report published Friday.

Suffolk County Detective Kenneth Ripp contacted the department’s Pistol License Bureau in January after interviewing David Laffer in a separate investigation, according to the Newsday  report. Ripp was investigating the theft of $8,220 from Laffer’s mother’s bank account.

Ripp was told by an officer in the permit bureau that Laffer should be allowed to retain the permits, but a follow-up investigation would commence. It is not clear what, if any, follow-up took place.

Laffer pleaded guilty earlier this month to first-degree murder in the June killings of two employees and two customers at Haven Drugs in Medford, admitting he robbed the pharmacy of prescription painkillers. He is expected to receive consecutive life-without-parole sentences next month. Laffer’s wife, who drove the getaway car during the holdup, is facing more than 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to robbery charges.

Laffer said in a jailhouse interview that also appeared Friday in Newsday that even if his pistol permit had been revoked and handgun confiscated, he likely still would have acquired a weapon to use in the holdup. “If someone’s dedicated enough, they can get a gun,” he said.

The killings were the worst on Long Island since a gunman shot up a commuter railroad train in 1993, killing six, and focused national attention on the growing problem of prescription drug robberies.

According to Newsday, which obtained a police report under a Freedom of Information request with the district attorney’s office, Ripp expressed concerns over Laffer’s possession of a pistol permit during an unrelated investigation.

He and his partner had visited the Laffer home in Medford last January after Palma Laffer — the gunman’s mother — reported money had been stolen from her bank account. By the time detectives arrived, Laffer had confessed the theft to his mother, who told police she did not want to press charges against her son.

Ripp interviewed Laffer outside the home, and after Laffer told him about the pistol permit, Ripp then contacted the pistol licensing bureau. Ripp’s attorney, Jeffrey Goldberg, told The Associated Press on Friday that the detective’s instincts were that Laffer should not have weapons.

“His instincts were that something was going on,” Goldberg said. “If the bureau was conscientious, they would have found a reason to confiscate the guns.”

From left: David Laffer, and his wife, Melinda Brady.

Among the reasons the bureau can use for confiscating guns is whether a person is behaving in a manner that would cause “a normal, rational person to be fearful or threatened,” according to Suffolk’s pistol license handbook.

Ripp, in a police report, said, “P.O. (Kelly) Smith stated to undersigned that she would inform her supervisor of the nature of our investigation and the incident that took place. P.O. Smith stated that the weapons could remain in the home and that the SCPD Pistol Licensing Bureau would follow up with their own investigation in the future.”

Smith did not return a call for comment and her supervisor, Sgt. Michael Esposito, declined to comment, according to Newsday.

Police Commissioner Richard Dormer did not say whether an investigation was conducted by the licensing bureau.

“Prior to the horrific murders at Haven Drugs, the Suffolk County Police Department received no information from any source indicating that Mr. Laffer was a drug abuser,” Dormer said in a statement.

“Any information or allegations of acts of violence or illegal drug use brought to the attention of the police department would have been forwarded to the Pistol License Bureau, and would have caused an immediate investigation and a suspension of a pistol license issued to a person accused of either act.”

Authorities said Laffer walked into Haven Drugs in Medford shortly after 10 a.m. on June 19 — Father’s Day — and opened fire without announcing a robbery, killing a pharmacist and a 17-year-old store clerk. He then fatally shot two customers who unwittingly walked in on the carnage, authorities said, before filling his backpack with hydrocodone-type painkillers.

Store surveillance video showed the assailant, disguised in a scruffy beard augmented by mascara, firing at the victims. The first shot was fired from a .45-caliber handgun hidden in the backpack, striking the pharmacist behind the counter. Laffer then found the store clerk and shot her.

As he began filling a backpack with pills, two customers walked into the store and he sneaked up behind them and fired shots into their heads. He then fled with thousands of pills.

Laffer also said in the jailhouse interview that the first shot was an accident. District Attorney Thomas Spota called Laffer “an outrageous liar” and said video surveillance shows him deliberately firing the first shot at the pharmacist through his backpack.”

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.

Long Island News, News
david laffer
david laffer
About the Author
Frank Eltman, AP
You might also dig
 

LI Doctors Among 98 Arrested in Drug Raid

by Rashed Mian on June 6, 2012
Authorities rounded up nearly 100 people,  including three Long Island medical practitioners, in a massive two-day drug raid throughout the New York Metro area, federal officials said Wednesday. In total, 98 people—mostly drug dealers who illegally sell [...]
 

Pols Call for Tougher Pharmacy Security After Deaths

by Rashed Mian on January 5, 2012
Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) called for a three-pronged attack on the prescription drug abuse “plague” on Long Island on Wednesday, including tighter security at small drug stores, better collaboration between local police and federal [...]
 

Laffer, Brady Sentenced for Medford Massacre

by Timothy Bolger on November 10, 2011
“There will be no Christmas this year…cause David Laffer and Melinda Brady needed drugs.” Those were the words of Mary Moran, grandmother of Jaime Taccetta, one of the four victims gunned down in a Medford pharmacy robbery on Father’s Day, while [...]

 
Wedding & Event FAQ
Q- Does the flower girl have to wear white or ivory to match the bride?

A-Your flower girl can wear any colored dress, which of course coordinates with the rest of your wedding party. If you choose for her to wear white or ivory, you can accent the dress with the bridal party color sash or appliqué. She can also wear the color of the bridal party and to differentiate her, you can add a white or ivory sash. Choose something that you feel will coordinate best with the rest of your bridal party.

Click here for more FAQs

Long Island Press is a registered trademark of Schneps Communications. © 2017. All rights reserved.