Thirteen people suffered smoke inhalation following an apartment fire sparked by an unattended candle in Hempstead on Sunday night, authorities said.
Hempstead village police and firefighters responded to the fire at 100 Terrace Ave. at 10:25 p.m.
The fire was contained to the apartment it started in but the building was evacuated due to the smoke.
The 13 residents were taken to local hospitals, where two were admitted in critical but stable condition. A firefighter was also treated for a lacerated finger at the scene.
Arson/Bomb Squad detectives determined that a 56-year-old resident fell asleep, leaving the candle unattended, Nassau County police said.
Seven fire departments responded to the scene with approximately 250 firefighters.
Six families were forced from their apartments as a result of fire and water damage in the building.