The extreme heat continues for Long Island on Wednesday, but afternoon storms should bring cooler temperatures for the rest of the week.
The National Weather Service has put Nassau and Western Suffolk under a heat advisory from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. Wednesday. Temperatures are expected to in the lower 90s with heat index values of around 100 degrees, except on parts of the South Shore.
On Monday the Town of Hempstead announced that it will open 15 cooling centers and extend pool and beach hours through Wednesday because of the extreme weather.
Cooling centers are open to the public from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. (except where noted):
- Baldwin Senior Center, 1810 N. Grand Ave., Baldwin, (516) 546-7110
- Bellmore Senior Center, 2000 Bellmore Ave., Bellmore, (516) 221-9696
- Cedarhurst Senior Center, 200 Cedarhurst Avenue, Cedarhurst, (516) 295-1177 (open until 4:30 p.m.)
- East Meadow Senior Center, 1485 Front Street, East Meadow, (516) 794-2458 (open until 4:45 p.m.)
- Elmont Senior Center, 138 Elmont Rd., Elmont, (516) 354-4777
- Franklin Square Senior Center, 1182 Martha Pl. Franklin Square, (516) 328-3010
- Green Acres Senior Center, 400 Flower Rd., Valley Stream, (516) 872-8810
- Levittown Senior Center, 555 N. Newbridge Rd., Levittown, (516) 433-5454
- Merrick Senior Center, 2550 Clubhouse Road, Merrick, (516) 868-4777 (open until 4:45 p.m.)
- Oceanside Senior Center, 2900 Rockaway Ave., Oceanside, (516) 766-8888
- Rosa Parks Senior Center, 2 Babylon Tpke., Roosevelt (516) 867-1612
- Salisbury Senior Center, 460 Salisbury Park Drive, Westbury, (516) 333-5440
- Uniondale-Hempstead Senior Center, 840 Uniondale Ave., Uniondale (516) 292-1313
- Uniondale-Merrick Senior Center, 750 Jerusalem Ave., Uniondale (516) 538-5050
- Wantagh Senior Center, 1150 Seamans Neck Rd., Wantagh (516) 785-8505
Hours of operation will be extended at the following pools until Wednesday, July 18:
- Roosevelt Pool – Closing at 7 p.m.
- Forest City Park Pool – Closing at 8 p.m.
- Rath Pool (Franklin Sq. Park District) – Closing at 8 p.m.
- Walker Memorial Pool – Closing at 8 p.m.
- Azaela Road Pool- Closing at 8 p.m.
- Hewlett Pool – Closing at 8 p.m.
- Slate Lane Pool- Closing at 8 p.m.
- Town Park at Sands – Closing at 7 p.m.
Lifeguards will be on duty for an extra hour (until 7 p.m.) at the following beaches until Wednesday, July 18:
- Town Park Point Lookout
- Lido Beach Town Park
- Lido West Town Park
- Town Park at Sands
- Hewlett Point Park
- East Atlantic Beach
- Atlantic Beach Estates
Officials advise residents to know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heatstroke, drink plenty of water and wear light weight and loose fitting clothing when possible. Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location immediately.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends outdoor workers schedule frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments.
Strong to severe thunderstorms are forecast to hit the area in the afternoon and evening. With these storms comes a threat for torrential rain, damaging winds, large hail and flash flooding.
Highs in the upper 80s are expected for Thursday, and temperatures should drop down to the 70s for Friday and go up to the lower 80s for the weekend.