Long Island is well on its way to another heat wave, with a forecast of high temperatures and humidity that’s set to last until Wednesday.
The National Weather Service said that the temperatures will hit the lower 90s on Monday, with heat index values in the mid 90s, and Tuesday will follow suit with a similar forecast. A heat advisory will be in effect for New York City from 1 p.m. Monday until 9 p.m. Tuesday.
Wednesday’s forecast calls for temperatures around 90 with heat index values in the upper 90s. There’s a chance of showers and thunderstorms for Wednesday morning and later on at night.
The Town of Hempstead will open 15 cooling centers and extend pool and beach hours through Wednesday because of the extreme weather.
Cooling centers are open to the public from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Monday through Wednesday (except where noted):
- Baldwin Senior Center, 1810 N. Grand Ave., Baldwin, (516) 546-7110
- Bellmore Senior Center, 2000 Bellmore Ave., Bellmore, (516) 221-9696
- Cedarhurst Senior Center, 200 Cedarhurst Avenue, Cedarhurst, (516) 295-1177 (open until 4:30 p.m.)
- East Meadow Senior Center, 1485 Front Street, East Meadow, (516) 794-2458 (open until 4:45 p.m.)
- Elmont Senior Center, 138 Elmont Rd., Elmont, (516) 354-4777
- Franklin Square Senior Center, 1182 Martha Pl. Franklin Square, (516) 328-3010
- Green Acres Senior Center, 400 Flower Rd., Valley Stream, (516) 872-8810
- Levittown Senior Center, 555 N. Newbridge Rd., Levittown, (516) 433-5454
- Merrick Senior Center, 2550 Clubhouse Road, Merrick, (516) 868-4777 (open until 4:45 p.m.)
- Oceanside Senior Center, 2900 Rockaway Ave., Oceanside, (516) 766-8888
- Rosa Parks Senior Center, 2 Babylon Tpke., Roosevelt (516) 867-1612
- Salisbury Senior Center, 460 Salisbury Park Drive, Westbury, (516) 333-5440
- Uniondale-Hempstead Senior Center, 840 Uniondale Ave., Uniondale (516) 292-1313
- Uniondale-Merrick Senior Center, 750 Jerusalem Ave., Uniondale (516) 538-5050
- Wantagh Senior Center, 1150 Seamans Neck Rd., Wantagh (516) 785-8505
Hours of operation will be extended at the following pools until Wednesday, July 18:
- Roosevelt Pool – Closing at 7 p.m.
- Forest City Park Pool – Closing at 8 p.m.
- Rath Pool (Franklin Sq. Park District) – Closing at 8 p.m.
- Walker Memorial Pool – Closing at 8 p.m.
- Azaela Road Pool- Closing at 8 p.m.
- Hewlett Pool – Closing at 8 p.m.
- Slate Lane Pool- Closing at 8 p.m.
- Town Park at Sands – Closing at 7 p.m.
Lifeguards will be on duty for an extra hour (until 7 p.m.) at the following beaches until Wednesday, July 18:
- Town Park Point Lookout
- Lido Beach Town Park
- Lido West Town Park
- Town Park at Sands
- Hewlett Point Park
- East Atlantic Beach
- Atlantic Beach Estates
The NWS advises residents to know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heatstroke, drink plenty of water and wear light weight and loose fitting clothing when possible. Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location immediately.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends outdoor workers schedule frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments.
Temperatures should cool off on Thursday, with highs in the mid 80s, and drop down to the lower 80s for Friday.