1. YOUTUBE “WHALE SHOOTS RAINBOW OUT OF BLOWHOLE”: This video posted by rsean9000 and taken during a whale watching tour in Nova Scotia shows just that. And, yes, we’re aware of the laws of science, but we don’t care.
2. RELIVE THE ’90S WITH SCREECH: Saved by the Bell’s Dustin Diamond—and star of Screeched: Saved by the Smell—returns to the Nutty Irishman in Farmingdale for ’90s night with Nine Deez cover band, DJ Cory P, food and drink specials. So get out your stone-washed, high-waisted Jordache jeans, your Keds and your DayGlo hair scrunchies, and remember the good ol’ days when Screech was that loveable nerd with a ‘fro, before he was soliciting prostitutes for his porno flick.
3. LISTEN TO THE ASTEROIDS GALAXY TOUR: If you think you’ve never heard of this Danish band, you probably have and just don’t realize it. Their music has been featured on everything from Gossip Girl, Mad Men and Suits to the current Heineken Pilsener commercial and they’ve opened for Amy Winehouse and Katy Perry. Download “The Golden Age” and “Around the Bend” on iTunes.
4. USE THE BLABLAMETER: Simply put, this is a bullshit detection tool. So, if you’re wondering how full of it you are, just cut and paste your text—anything from an apology letter to a school term paper to your opinions—at www.blablameter.com and in mere seconds you’ll find out whether you sound believable and sincere—or like Vince Shlomi trying to sell the ShamWow.
5. MEET ANDY COHEN: Now presiding over Bravo’s reality TV empire, the man behind all those crazy TV housewives writes about his lifelong love affair with pop culture that brought him from the suburbs of St. Louis to his own television show, Watch What Happens Live in his new book Most Talkative. On June 28, he stops by Book Revue in Huntington at 7 p.m. to dish on the absurd mishaps he’s witnessed during his 10 years at CBS News, and the real stories behind The Real Housewives.
6. PLAY BUBBLE MANIA: If you remember playing the game Bubbles back in the day, this is the modernized iPhone-compatible version. Shoot your way through 60+ levels by matching colored bubbles. Groups of three or more disappear and get you closer to the poor little baby critters held hostage by evil wizards at the top. It’s a classic simple enough to be fun, but challenging enough to be addictive app—and it’s free…
7. GET A FRESH CHOCOLATE-DIPPED CONE…AT MCDONALD’S: They’ve been on and off and on and off the menu for years now, and right now, they’re back on. The chocolate-dipped reduced-fat vanilla ice cream cone is now available at select Long Island Mickey D’s locations for a buck.
8. TIVO TNT’S THE GREAT ESCAPE: As if there weren’t enough reality shows on the air already, here’s another to add to the mix, only this one just might have legs. Created by the producers of CBS’ The Amazing Race—now heading into its 20th season—The Great Escape, follows teams competing in real-life action scenes where they must escape from places like Alcatraz and the USS Hornet. So don’t just dismiss this one as yet another reality show, each episode gives you an inside look at some of the most unusual, historic and notorious places around the globe. The show airs every Sunday at 10 p.m.
9. WATCH THE TRAILER FOR TAKEN 2: If the first installment of Taken in 2008 didn’t scare the living hell out of you and make you burn your passport, here comes part two. Liam Neeson returns as Bryan Mills, a retired CIA operative who decimated an Albanian slave-trading ring to rescue his kidnapped daughter. A year later, on a trip to Istanbul, Mills’ ex-wife is taken in a revenge plot and his daughter ends up on the run, while Mills once again uses his lethal skills to track them down and get them back. The film hits theaters this October. Hold on to your panties.
10. CELEBRATE THE FOURTH!