If you go by the greeting cards, Dad is obsessed with the TV remote, the grill, fishing, golf, beer and bodily functions—and the only gift he truly could use for Father’s Day is a belt to hold his pants up. So, if you’d rather not insult Dad on his special day by signing a greeting card that basically tells him he’s a lazy bastard, we have some alternatives—13 of them, to be exact.
1. Plant a Boot for Father’s Day @ Hicks Nurseries, 100 Jericho Tpke., Westbury. Bring in one of Dad’s old shoes, sneakers or boots to create a fun summer planter filled with flowering annuals at 4:30 p.m. Thursday, 6.14.
2. Native American Father’s Day/Arrowhead Necklace @ Garvies Point Museum & Preserve, 50 Barry Drive, Glen Cove. You and Dad can learn how to make fire without matches, grind corn, and use the stone drill in the way Native Americans did from 11 a.m.-noon. Then make Dad an awesome arrowhead necklace from noon-3 p.m. Thursday, 6.14.
3. East Islip Historical Society’s Father’s Day Breakfast @ Brookwood Hall, 50 Irish Lane, East Islip. Breakfast served from 8:30-11 a.m. Sunday, 6.17.
4. Father’s Day Comedy Event @ North Amityville Fire Company, 601 North Broadway, Amityville. Performer and writer Chloe Hilliard (Gotham Comedy Club, Black Entertainment Television) hosts. Sunday, 6.17.
5. Father’s Day Nature Hike @ Connetquot River State Park Preserve, Sunrise Highway, Oakdale. From 1:30-3 p.m. walk with dad on a family adventure. Sunday, 6.17.
6. Father’s Day Car Show @ Oceanside School House Green, Foxhurst Road, Oceanside. Fundraiser for Oceanside Educational Foundation. 10 a.m.-3 pm. Sunday, 6.17.
7. Father’s Day Karaoke @ Martha Clara Vineyards, 6025 Sound Ave., Rivherad. With DJ Phil from 1-4 p.m. Sunday, 6.17.
8. Designing for Dad @ Long Island Children’s Museum, 11 Davis Ave., Garden City. Create your own one-of-a-kind picture frame, a masterpiece for your dad or someone special in your life. 1-3 p.m. Sunday, 6.17.
9. Celebrate Father’s Day @ LI Museum of American Art, 1200 Route 25A, Stony Brook. Treat Dad to an historic adventure. Free admission for fathers and grandfathers all day. Noon-5 p.m. Friday, 6.17.
10. Father’s Day @ Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery, 1660 Route 25A, Cold Spring Harbor. Free admission for Dads when accompanied by their children. Sunday, 6.17.
11. Father’s Day Wine & Chocolate Pairing @ Castello di Borghese, 17150 County Route 48, Cutchogue. A guided tasting by Roxanne, Long Island’s only Chocolate Sommelier, and Mary, Borghese Wine Consultant, as they take you on an exotic journey. 2-3 p.m. Friday, 6.17.
12. Happy Fishy Father’s Day @ Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum, 301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor. 2:30 p.m. Discover unusual dads in the ocean from seahorses to sea spiders to Emperor penguins. Bring four jar lids with you. Sunday, 6.17.
13. Daddy & Me Rocket Building @ Center for Science, Teaching & Learning, Tanglewood Preserve 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Soar for the skies, build a rocket with Dad and launch it toward the clouds… how far will yours fly? Sunday, 6.17.