1. MEET YOGI BERRA!: The NY Yankees Hall of Famer will sign memorabilia a Steiner Sports Store in Roosevelt Field Mall at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 7. Berra was one of only four players to be named the Most Valuable Player of the American League three times and as a player, coach, or manager, appeared in 21 World Series. Not too shabby, eh? For details visit www.steinersports.com.
2. BUY TIX FOR LACOSTE L!VE WILLIAMSBURG PARK CONCERT SERIES: The concert series opens June 15 with Jens Lekman of Montreal and features Counting Crows, Refused, Cake, Jane’s Addiction, My Morning Jacket, Sublime, Cypress Hill and more and closes with Goyte “Somebody that I used to Know”) in September. Tickets go on sale June 8 at noon (at 10 a.m. for Gotye show) at Ticketmaster.com. Don’t miss out!
3. BUY A PRIDE T-SHIRT AT TARGET: Ten t-shirts for sale on Target’s retail website, featuring slogans like “Harmony,” “Pride” and “Love is Love,” all to raise money for a group working to defeat a gay marriage ban in Minnesota. Then head over to Huntington Village on June 9 for the annual GLBT Pride Parade and Festival. We can almost guarantee it will be the only chance this year you’ll have to watch drag queens sprint down Main Street in stilettos as part of the festival’s first-ever High Heel Race.
4. YOUTUBE “DEMANDING MONKEY HAS A BAD ITCH”: This video posted by Petsami takes adorable to a whole new level. A little girl petting a monkey’s head at the zoo tries to stop, only to have her hand pulled back again and again—and again. Follow that video up with “Petsami’s Top 5: Perpetual Pups” and you’ll pretty much be rendered useless for the rest of your work day.
5. LOOK UP GUETAPENS IN THE DICTIONARY: Back in the day, our stint in the annual elementary school spelling bee came to an end when we spelled the word chocolate “choc-ococo-late.” Not our proudest moment, but for 14-year-old girl Snigdha Nadipati of San Diego, crowned as the 2012 Scripps National Spelling Bee champion last week, Guetapens is the word she’ll be talking about 20 years from now—because she spelled it right. What the hell does guetapens mean? Look it up and get edjamucated.
6. ATTEND THE LI KOSHER BBQ CHAMPIONSHIP: Gone are the days when you had to rely on the Food Network to experience a barbecue championship. Temple Beth Torah of Westbury will host the inaugural LI Kosher BBQ Championship on Sunday, 6.10 at 11 a.m. when teams will compete for Best Brisket, Best Ribs, Best Beans, Most Original Team Name and Best Booth Decoration. Stop by for good food, family fun and old-fashioned hospitality with events ranging from a pickle-eating contest to a basketball skills tournament to a Velcro climbing wall to live entertainment. You do not have to be Jewish or kosher to attend! But you may want to skip breakfast that morning…
7. WATCH THE DARK KNIGHT RISES TV SPOTS: Fans of 2008’s critical and commercial success, The Dark Knight, will pile into theaters July 20th for Christopher Nolan’s final bat-installment. Just to make sure, Warner Brothers has released its first wave of TV spots for the highly anticipated sequel. After releasing a trailer with Marvel’s The Avengers, Warner Brothers is making sure that every single person knows about their Bat-franchise’s final chapter. Head over to YouTube and check out bits of new footage, and eagerly await The Dark Knight Rises.
8. POST BAIL FOR MDA: Local business leaders head to “jail” on Thursday, 6.14, from 3-5 p.m. at K. Pacho in New Hyde Park in order to raise their “bail” for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA). Each jailbird raised $2,400 in the weeks leading up to the event. When they turn in their bail, they’ll get gourmet bread and water. To register as a Jailbird contact MDA Executive Director, Stacie Spitzkoff at 516-358-1012.
9. YOUTUBE “ALL 8 HARRY POTTER MOVIES – JUST THE SPELLS”: Inanimatus Conjurus!, Engorgio Skullus!, Cave Inimicum!, Aguamenti!, Alarte Ascendare!, Alohomora!, Diffindo!, Bombarda Maxima!, Vipera Evanesca! A fan compiled this montage of every single spell ever attempted in the Harry Potter franchise—all 17 minutes and 47 seconds of them…
10. PLACE YOUR BETS: The Belmont Stakes is on Saturday, 6.9. Will there be a triple crown winner for the first time in 34 years? There’s only one way to find out…