Long Island Summer Guide 2012
Big Time Rush, Saturday, 8/18
How to Train Your Dragon Live Spectacular @ Nassau Coliseum, The tour delivers 23 dragons, some with wingspans of up to 46 feet, Viking warriors and world-class circus artists and acrobats. Through 8.5.
- Ted Nugent @ NYCB Theatre @ Westbury
- LI Roller Rebels @ Skate Safe America, Old Bethpage.
- Music in the Park @ Port Jeff Harbor Green
- KidFest #4: Aesop Bops! @ Guild Hall,
158 Main St., East Hampton.
Princess Tea Party @ Ballet Long Island, 1863 Pond Rd., Ronkonkoma.
- Dick Fox’s Golden Boys @ NYCB Theatre @ Westbury
- Wiz Khalifa @ Nikon @ Jones Beach
- Toadies/Helmet @ Webster Hall, Manhattan.
- Mako/Thresher Mania Tournament @ Star Island Yacht Club, Montauk.
- A Night of Latin Entertainment Music & Dancing @ Dix Hills Performing Arts Center
- Judy Collins @ Stephen Talkhouse, Amagansett.
- Escape 2 New York @ Shinnecock Reservation, Montauk Highway, Southampton. Headlined by punk poet Patti Smith, this East End music festival features Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes, The Vaccines, The Psychedelic Furs, Delilah, Lissy Trullie, White Rabbits & more. Through 8.5.
- Rick Springfield @ The Paramount, Huntington.
- The Bright Light Social Hour @ Revolution, Amityville.
- 311/Slightly Stoopid/SOJA @ Nikon @ Jones Beach Theater, Wantagh.
- Steve White @ Brokerage, Bellmore. Also 8.4.
- Aesop Rock @ Irving Plaza, Manhattan.
- LI Comedy Festival @ Gateway Playhouse, 215 S. Country Rd., Bellport.
- Zoppe Italian Family Circus @ Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center, Through 8.5.
- The Amazing Kreskin @ Landmark on Main Street, 232 Main St., Port Washington.
- Lighthouse Tour @ Huntington Lighthouse, Huntington. Also 8.19.
- Irish-American Night @ Eisenhower Park
- Juggling Show @ Valley Stream State Park
- Pat Metheny Unity Band @ Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center
- Family Force 5 @ Revolution
- Talkhouse 25th B-Day Party @ Stephen Talkhouse, Amagansett.
- System of a Down/Deftones @ Nikon @ Jones Beach Theater, Wantagh.
- The Lumineers/Milk Carton Kids @ Central Park SummerStage, Manhattan.
- Drive-In Movie Monday @ Cooper’s Beach, Southampton, Every Monday.
- National Lighthouse Day @ Long Island Lighthouses
- Bloc Party @ Terminal 5, Manhattan. Through 8.9.
- M. Ward/Yo La Tengo @ Prospect Park, Brooklyn.
- M83/I Break Horses @ Central Park SummerStage, Manhattan.
- Big Time Rush @ Nikon @ Jones Beach Theater
- Zon del Barrio @ Old Westbury Gardens
- KidFest Acrobatic Show @ Guild Hall, East Hampton.
- O.A.R. @ Nikon @ Jones Beach Theater, Wantagh.
- Bobby “Blue” Bland @ B.B. King Blues Club, Manhattan.
- Johnny Mathis @ NYCB Theatre @ Westbury
- The B-52’s @ Irving Plaza, Manhattan.
- Kellie Pickler @ The Paramount, Huntington.
- Wine Tasting Tour & Lobster Bake @ LI Aquarium, Riverhead. Also 8.30.
- Family Fest w/Jabali Acrobats @ Montauk Playhouse, Montauk.
- Guys & Dolls @ Heckscher Park, Huntington.
- Mitch Fatel @ McGuire’s Comedy Club, Bohemia.
- Dave Koz w/Bebe Winans @ The Paramount, Huntington.
- Journey/Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo/Loverboy @ Nikon @ Jones Beach Theater, Wantagh.
- Bonnie Schneider @ Shelter Island Public Library
- Paumanauke Pow-wow, Tanner Park, Kerrigan Road, Copiague. Also 8.12.
- Trigger Hippy @ Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center
- Disco Night @ Eisenhower Park, East Meadow.
- Zebra @ The Paramount, Huntington.
- Art, Craft & Gift Show @ Sparkling Pointe Vineyards, 39750 County Road 48, Southold
- Magic Show @ Belmont Lake State Park, North Babylon.
- Meteor Party @ Custer Observatory, Southold.
- Science Walking Tour @ Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Route 25A, Cold Spring Harbor
- Poems for Pollock @ Pollock-Krasner House, 830 Springs Fireplace Rd., East Hampton.
- Historic Cemetery Tours @ Mulford Farm, East Hampton.
- Snapper Derby @ Captree Park, Captree Island. Also 8.12.
- Dick Johansson & The Highlanders @ Sag Harbor Whaling Museum
- Boys Like Girls @ Tanger Outlets @ the Arches, Deer Park
- Hilarious Comedy of Uncle Floyd @ Dix Hills Performing Arts Center
- Divas of Daytime Soap Show @ Brokerage Comedy Club, Bellmore.
- Hollister Rand Spirit Readings @ Westhampton Library
- Suzanne Vega @ Stephen Talkhouse, Amagansett.
- k.d. Lang & the Siss Boom Bang @ Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center When k.d. Lang returned to Nashville and assembled her first self-contained band since she recorded 1989’s Absolute Torch and Twang with the Reclines, it was natural to assume that she’d run back to the full-on country music vibe of her early career. She instead incorporated minimal C&W nuances with slight sophisticated adult pop twists that embraced everything from nourish dream-pop to elements of Wilco and fellow Canuck Neil Young’s mellower noodlings with Crazy Horse.
- Annual Barbecue Fun-Raiser & Old Time Carnival @ Walt Whitman Birthplace, 246 Old Walt Whitman Rd., Huntington Station
- Chinese-American Night @ Eisenhower Park, East Meadow.
- Car Show & Swap Meet @ LI MacArthur Airport, Ronkonkoma.