1. MEET THE CAP’N! The hero of the Hudson, Captain Chesley Sullenberger, AKA the man who responded to air traffic controllers who asked which runway he preferred to land on with “We’re going to be in the Hudson,” then actually did so, comes to Long Islandto sign his new book, Making a Difference: Stories of Vision and Courage From America’s Leaders. In it, he asks people of achievement from all walks of life what it takes to lead and inspire, on May 16 at the Book Revue in Huntington at 7 p.m. Yes, that means it’s time to take out your “I Heart Sully” T-shirts again.
2. LEAVE GROCERIES BY YOUR MAILBOX: Because your mailman might want a snack this week. We kid, we kid. On May 12, The National Association of Letter Carriers’ Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive takes place and letter carriers across the country will collect food for families in need as they deliver your mail. Just bag non-perishable food items (no glass jars) and leave them by your mailbox.
3. GO TO MARVEL: Lido Beach’s famous summer ice cream landmark, where police are often brought in to control the traffic getting into and out of this wonderful establishment, is open for the season. Rejoice. Then order a soft serve pistachio and strawberry swirled cone freshly dipped in chocolate. You won’t be sorry.
4. TWEET #RYANKENNEDY: Ryan Kennedy, a 9-year-old boy battling brain cancer, has a wish. He wants his name to trend on Twitter. Britney Spears already tweeted to her 16 million followers to post using the tag #ryankennedy, and now you can follow suit. So, rock your social networks too, because every tweet counts!
5. DOWNLOAD LOGOQUIZ: This highly addictive game has been topping the iTunes charts these days and if you haven’t already played, do it now. You’ll work through different levels, where you must identify random logos you see every day, without their text—everything from Lays and Starbucks to West Coast burger joints and Italian sports cars. After you beat the first level, you’ll realize just how much marketing campaigns are silently brainwashing you.
6. YOUTUBE “FROG SITS ON BENCH LIKE A HUMAN”: This video is adorable and pretty amazing. This little guy knows it’s not easy being green and decides to sit upright on a bench with his hands in his lap and chill. All he needs is a mini banjo.
7. HELP ZACH GAGE GET TO #1 on iTUNES: After you get to level four on LogoQuiz and realize you’ve seen that logo before but can’t place it and you’ve run out of hints and you’re ready to pull your hair out—download SpellTower. New York independent app developer Zach Gage is running a limited-time only $.99 sale price for his latest word puzzle game that will have you feverishly creating words by linking letters on a game board with your finger.
8. GET A DUCKS PACKAGE AT COSTCO: The “Family Fun Four Pack” for COSTCO shoppers exclusively combines food, beverage and tickets for the first time in one convenient package, all at a discounted price of $56.99. You’ll get a voucher redeemable for four box seats to any 2012 Ducks game at Bethpage Ballpark, subject to availability, along with a food voucher good for four hot dogs and four soft drinks—a savings of up to 36 percent!
9. YOUTUBE AVENGERS BOY BAND: A video of a boy band dressed as Marvel’s Avengers is despicable and shameless. Well, better add hilarious to that description. The spoof video takes the boy band trend of the 90s and fuses it with the superhero franchise. Viewers can watch “Captain America” sing about his friends and how he needs their help. Seriously, watch this. It’s clever, funny and pretty well executed.
10. HUG YOUR MOTHER! May 13 is Mother’s Day—don’t forget!