1. GOOGLE “PENGUINS IN SWEATERS”: After a cargo ship crashed in New Zealand, leaking 350 tons of oil into the ocean, Skeinz, a local yarn store, made an unusual request of its customers: knit sweaters for penguins. The jumpers are meant to keep the birds warm and prevent them from ingesting the oil on their feathers until they can be cleaned. The penguins get to wear sensible outerwear—and they look absolutely adorable.
2. PARTY WITH TR FOR HIS 153RD… before his home gets shut down for three years of renovations. Oct. 27 marks Long Island’s own Teddy Roosevelt’s birthday. Stop by his crib at Sagamore Hill for a wreath-laying ceremony, all-day events and the unveiling of a 1903 note card written by the prez himself.
3. MEET WICKED AUTHOR GREGORY MAGUIRE: The bestselling writer and SUNY Albany grad comes to Book Revue in Huntington on Nov. 3 to sign and speak about Out of Oz, the stirring, long-awaited conclusion to the bestselling series that began with Wicked. So, don’t put away your pointy hats just yet.
4. YOUTUBE “DELTA AIR LINES ENGAGEMENT”: Watch Arvin propose to Alex. Who are these people? We have no idea, but watch this man very sweetly propose to his girlfriend over the PA on a Delta flight and prepare some excuses for the inevitable tears: dust in your eye, allergies—that damn onion that you bring everywhere.
5. LISTEN TO CEREMONIALS: The new Florence and the Machine album comes out Oct. 25, and is sure to be filled with drama, wailing and catchy choruses—perfect listening material for working, getting ready, going for a walk and just generally living.
6. GOOGLE “YAEBA TEETH”: Forgive us for quoting a Hilary Duff lyric, but straight teeth are so yesterday…in Japan, anyway. The latest trend has Japanese women, many who consider a snaggle-tooth look to be cute, getting their straight teeth made crooked at the dentist. So, instead of spending $4,000 on braces for your kids, just ship them off to Japan.
7. WATCH BEAVIS & BUTT-HEAD: It’s been nearly two decades since Beavis and Butt-Head premiered on MTV and now, 14 years after the cult series ended, Mike Judge’s delinquents are making a comeback with a dozen new episodes beginning Thursday. Instead of Julie Brown and MC Hammer, these days the guys are tackling even bigger targets like the Jersey Shore crew.
8. DONATE A WARM COAT: The Fifth Annual Warm Hearts & Warm Coats Drive officially takes off Oct. 28 on Long Island and runs through Jan. 16. All coats collected at Burlington Coat Factory stores will be given to local families by Long Island Cares. Bring a coat and get 10 percent off of a new one.
9. READ IQ84: The rapidly dropping temps are perfect for a big book to cozy up with at night, and nothing could be better than a new Haruki Murakami novel. The author of the Wind-up Bird Chronicle (amongst other literary wonders) will have released his new tome, 1Q84, by the time you read this. Go get it!
10. GET FREE Halloween SCARY FACE PANCAKES AT IHOP: On Oct. 28, trick or treaters 12 and under can enjoy a free design-your-own oversized pancake and candy decorations from 7 a.m.-10 p.m. at all IHOP restaurants on Long Island. A whipped-cream smile, Oreo cookie eyes and candy corn cheeks? How bad could it be!