Add Comment

Lit Barbecue Cited in Brentwood Carbon Monoxide Incident


A Brentwood woman was arrested for reckless endangerment after she allegedly used a barbeque grill inside her home that caused her family to suffer carbon monoxide poisoning, Suffolk County police said.

Police responded to a call at 4:03 a.m. Wednesday morning, after a man in the home called 911 stating that a woman had passed out. Police evacuated the house after determining the family inside was suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Marie Claudia Blaise was using the barbeque grill in the house after the family had run out of heating oil, police said. Claudia and her 13-year-old son were found unconscious, and her 10-year-old daughter was found semi-conscious, police said. Two others, Yves Blaise, 49, and the couple’s 16-year-old daughter were able to walk out of the house on their own.


advertisement

All five were transported to Southside Hospital in Bayshore for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning, police said. Claudia was later transported to Nassau University Medical Center.

Claudia was in serious condition; the conditions of the others not immediately available.

Police said she will be charged with reckless endangerment. It was not immediately known if she has a lawyer.

-With Associated Press

Leave a Comment

Please use the comment box below for general comments, but if you feel we have made a mistake, typo, or egregious error, let us know about it. Click here to "call us out." We're happy to listen to your concerns.