Today is National Margarita Day! And everyone’s celebrating the #1 most popular cocktail in the United States.
We know one person that most definitely is celebrating – Jimmy Buffet. The singer, made the drink famous with his song “Margaritaville.”
In the song, Jimmy Buffet sings, “Wasted away again in Margaritaville. Searching for my lost shaker of salt, some people claim that there’s a woman to blame, but I know it’s nobody’s fault.”
Another celebrator? We think Bethenny Frankel, who has her own line of margarita’s called Skinnygirl Margarita- if you don’t want to indulge in all those calories other margarita’s have, opt for Bethenny Frankel’s new Skinnygirl Margarita that’s only 100 calories!
So where exactly did this delectable drink come from?
A little Margarita history (foodchannel.com):
The drink was named after a lady named Margarita and Margarita Sames invented the original drink in 1948. According to legend it was during a party at her Cliffside hacienda in Acapulco that she began experimenting with the drink. Looking for something new she mixed Tequila Herradura, Cointreau and fresh limejuice. Ps. the frozen margarita was invented in 1971 based off of a soft-serve ice-cream machine.
Celebrate the day by kicking back a nice sweet Margarita. Here are some recipes to celebrate today (Mararitarecipe.org):
• One and a half ounce of Tequila
• Godiva liquor-one ounce
• Half and half or three-fourth ounce of cream
• Two tablespoons of Chocolate syrup
• Two ounces of orange juice for that tangy taste
• Lots of ice
Pour all the ingredients in a shaker. Mix everything properly and then pour the contents into a special Margarita glass. For some added sweetness, you might want to coat the glass rim with crushed chocolate cookies or a bit of cocoa.You can serve your drink either shaken with ice, blended with ice (also known as Frozen margarita), or on the rocks. Your drink will be ready within thirty minutes.
Frozen Margarita Recipe:
• Three parts of tequila
• Two parts of any orange flavored liqueur
• Salt to taste
• One part limejuice
• Lime cut into wedges
• Ice cubes
* This margarita must have crushed ice to enhance the taste. Use of a blender helps one crush the ice. Add the ingredients except the lemon and salt to the blender. Do not add all the ice all at once. Add the ice gradually. Blend until the mixture obtains a consistency similar to that of a sorbet. Pour it into a margarita glass. Line the rim of the glass with salt. Also attach the lime wedges and serve chilled. It must be served immediately after it has been prepared.
• Half a cup of strawberry puree
• Two cups of ice preferably crushed
• One cup tequila
• One cup of limejuice
• Lime cut into wedges
• Glassware: Margarita glass
• Splash triple sec
• Sugar syrup
Mix the contents in a blender. If the ice has already been crushed separately, you can use a cocktail mixer to mix the ingredients. Pour the contents into the margarita glasses and serve chilled. Avoid lining the rim of the glass with salt, as it does not blend well with the taste of the drink.