Fourth Precinct police officers Michael Milo and Jeffrey Harkins responded to a call of a fire at a Willow Place home and upon arrival, the front of the house was engulfed in flames at 3:18 p.m.
The officers entered through the front door where they found Maryann Showalter, 55, who was unaware of the fire. She told officers that Alfred Ianacci, 54, was sleeping in an upstairs bedroom. Officer Milo ran upstairs and alerted Ianacci before both officers then assisted the couple and a dog outside to safety.
The officers were taken to Stony Brook University Medical Center where they were treated for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters from the Ronkonkoma Fire Department, assisted by Nesconset, Farmingville, Centereach, Lakeland and Holbrook fire departments extinguished the blaze.
Arson Section detectives determined the fire to be accidental, having originated in an area in front of the home where smoking materials were discarded.